3D printers are becoming increasingly popular. In addition, technology is maturing, so the quality of these machines is increasingly superior, with better results and cheaper prices. An example of this evolution is the Anycubic i3 Mega, a highly recommended printer with a price below 300 A not inconsiderable offer considering the results and characteristics of this machine.
The brand Anycubic has several very interesting printing machines. Among them this model i3 Mega. It is a Chinese company founded in 2015 in Shenzhen, with about 300 employees working there to create these products. They have been trained in some of the most important universities worldwide to ensure that they have the talent to delight any maker who wants to print their own objects.
Some critics point out that Anycubic i3 Mega is the best 3D printer in 2019 for less than 300 euros, and it is not for less. Do you want to know why?
Anycubic i3 Mega’s features
The Anycubic i3 Mega is a superior quality printer, with a warranty (with good technical service and after-sales assistance) and resistance to have a high volume of printing without being easily damaged. The printing capacity allows you to print quality parts up to 210x210x205 mm, which means that you can work with large parts, something that some printers do not allow at these prices.
In many articles I have said that you can print some of the pieces that are used for the DIY, because with it you can do it…
It includes a touch screen where it will show all the operation details, such as the working temperatures of the head or extruder, the printing time, etc. As it is tactile, it allows you to operate it directly without using buttons in a much more intuitive way.
Anycubic i3 Mega also guarantees a good finish of the printed pieces, with a lot of quality. The materials supported are PLA and ABS, among others that allow fine filaments. A special spatula is included in the kit to remove excess filaments after each print. It also has a filament detector, so if the “ink” runs out, it will be paused so you can replace the consumable and continue where you were printing, without having to throw the piece away.
The printer does not come mounted, but its assembly is quite simple and fast, even if you are not experienced. It is all very intuitive, so a user who has never had a printer of this type, would not even need to read the manual. It would only be necessary to tighten 8 screws and insert three lines and little more.
And if you are thinking that it is one of those low quality Chinese products, the truth is that all products manufactured by Anycubic have ‘string’ European CE certification, to ensure that it is safe in all aspects, and also with others such as FCC, and RoHS (environmental).
When you open the box of this printer, it usually includes the Anycubic i3 Mega 3D printer, the spatula, an 8 GB SD memory card, a practical user guide, a hotend standby set, random color test filament, tool kit, coil holder and a reel. Therefore, you can mount it and start printing to test it even if you have not bought filament .
Summary of technical features
- Control: easy to use touch screen. It has memory to be able to resume the printing in case the light goes out and then continues as you can see in the figure of the Hulk above. Also, if the filament runs out, it pauses and continues when you put a new reel on it. That way you won’t waste time and material on prints that are only half done…
- Modeling technology: FDM, i.e. by deposition of the molten material
- X/Y/Z positioning accuracy: 0.125mm for XY and 0.002mm for Z.
- Layer thickness: 0.05-0.3mm
- Printing speed: 20-100 mm/s
- Supported filament materials: 1.75mm with PLA, ABS, HIPS, Wood, TPU, and PETG materials
- Nozzle diameter: 0.4 mm
- Working temperature: the extruder nozzle works at 260ºC and the bed is kept warm at 110ºC
- Dimensions and weight: 405x410x453mm and 11 kg
- Filleting software (slicer): Cure
- Input / output formats: STL, OBJ, DAE, AMF / GCode
- Working mode: you can send the files for online printing via USB or offline without a computer connected to the SD card.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Anycubic i3 Mega
Like all products, the Anycubic i3 Mega has its advantages and disadvantages. Although the truth is that the 3D printer leaves quite satisfied the users who try it, and almost everything is advantages against few disadvantages. If you compare it with other alternatives, it’s one of the best you’ll find for that price.
Some printed examples to give you an idea of their level of detail and quality are shown in the image above. Look specially at the bike, and the level of detail it gets in the chain.
- Print quality
- Low price
- Good instruction manual, service and warranty
- Easy assembly and spare parts included
- Automatic shutdown system in case of wire loss or restart in case of power failure.
- Hot bed (ultrabase) that stays hot so that the piece does not move and to achieve better results.
- Printing speed
- Versatility in terms of printing materials
- Large print volume
- Quality of the printer’s finish to give it robustness
- Fast, intuitive user interface with touch screen
- Supports multiple formats and computerless printing by SD
- Quality certifications for safe use against other Chinese
- Ease of finding compatible strands
- The example coil you bring for testing may be of a low quality
- Somewhat noisy
- It is not easy to improve in case of need.
- The calibration of the bed is semi-automatic and not fully automatic, so you will have to intervene, although it is nothing complicated.
You can find it on some online sales sites, such as eBay, Amazon, etc. But taking into account the service of the online platforms, it is better to choose Amazon for logistics and for the
guarantees that this service offers.
Where to buy the 3D printer?
On the Internet you will find other offers of this same model above 300 Euros, which are expensive prices that you should avoid, as you can ‘find cheaper’. In fact, you can find an .
Where to buy the replacement printing filament?
Like the printer, you can order it from various supported materials and in various colors. It is available in specialized stores or for online purchase. For example, the